The City of Paso Robles collaborated with other local water purveyors to develop an interactive gardening website that provides information regarding:
- How to design and install a water-wise garden
- Efficient irrigation methods and equipment
- Maintaining your garden
This is an extraordinary resource for anybody looking to make the switch from turf or wanting some fresh ideas for their existing water-wise garden. Even if you have never considered converting to a low-water landscape, you may change your mind after exploring this site.
Top Ways to Reduce Water Use Now
- Adjust sprinklers to water only the landscape not pavement.
- Adjust lawn mower height to 3 inches longer lawns use less water.
- Water in the early morning when winds and temperatures are low to reduce evaporation and overspray.
- Check irrigation systems regularly for leaks and broken heads then repair.
- Convert a portion of your lawn to low-water-use Mediterranean plants on drip irrigation. (incentives)
- Use 2-3 of mulch around plants to reduce evaporation loss from the soil.
- Water no more than 3 days per week during the summer, and less during other times of the year.
For more ways to conserve take a virtual tour of the
H2ouse Water Saver Home
- Replace your older high flow toilet with a new High Efficiency model (rebate information)
- Limit showers to 5 minutes or less.
- Only run the clothes washer and dishwasher when you have a full load.
- Dont let the water run while brushing your teeth.
- Call 227-7250 for a Free Home Water Survey (click here for information)