POLITICAL ADVERTISING & SIGNS
The City has established certain rules regarding the placement of posters, leaflets, banners and other items that fall into the category of political signs. These rules are designed to keep the city clean and protect public safety. Failure to comply may result in fines to the candidate or committee.
Basic rules include:
- Political signs are not allowed to be placed on any public property. This includes public rights-of-way, utility poles, street signs and trees.
- You must have the owner's permission to display signs on private property.
- Size of political signs shall conform to City's Municipal Code §21.19.080 (below).
O. Political Signs. Political signs shall conform to the following regulations:
- Residential Zoning Districts. In residential zoning
districts, political signs shall not exceed thirty-two
square feet in area and shall be subject to the following
- They shall not exceed a height of three feet within the required front yard setback and, for corner lots, the required setback for the side yard abutting a street.
- Outside of the setback areas mentioned above, they shall be six feet or less in height.
- All Other Zoning Districts. In all other zoning districts, they shall be six feet or less in height and thirty-two square feet or less in area.
- Removal if Associated with an Election. If a political sign is related to an election, it shall be removed no later than seven days following an election.
- Public Right-of-Way. Unless such sign satisfies the criteria specified in Chapter 11.30, no political sign shall be placed in the public right-of-way or on public property.
- Location. They shall not be located within one hundred feet of any polling place on election day.
- Non-Temporary Political Signs. Political signs that are not temporary, or are otherwise not within the exemptions of this section, are permitted in all zones subject to the provisions of this chapter pertaining to signs generally.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT SIGNS PLACED ON PUBLIC PROPERTY ARE SUBJECT TO REMOVAL BY THE CITY