POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
Download Policies and Guidelines here:
- Art Display Selection Policy and Guidelines
- Proposal for Displays (Pamphlet)
- Bulletin Boards and Free Distribution of Printed Materials
- Library Internet Policy (for Wired and WiFi)
- Materials Selection Policy
Guidelines for Library Use
The Paso Robles City Library welcomes you. In order to promote an atmosphere in which all patrons may use and enjoy the Library, the Library Board of Trustees established the following use guidelines:
To enjoy library materials and services fully, the following are encouraged:
- Asking library staff for help.
- Using the library’s electronic resources.
- Participating in library programs.
- Speaking in a quiet voice.
- Muting cell phones and other electronic devices.
To avoid disturbing library users, the following are prohibited:
- Use of loud or threatening language.
- Disruptive or unsafe behavior including any conduct that interferes with the use of the Library by others or with the functioning of library staff or volunteers.
- Eating or drinking except in designated areas, or as approved for specific events.
- Running or roughhousing.
- Animals, with the exception of service animals assisting persons with disabilities or animals used in library programs.
- Soliciting money, donations or signatures without prior approval of the City Librarian.
- All behavior or actions prohibited by law.
- Using the Library with offensive body odor or personal hygiene.
As a courtesy to other library users, please speak softly when using cell phones or use cell phones in the lobby or outside the library.
The children’s area, including restrooms, is restricted to children and accompanying adults. Adults not accompanied by children are permitted in the children’s area when actively using children’s resources with help of library staff.
The library is not responsible for children who are left unattended in or on the grounds of the library. Library Staff may refer to appropriate authorities those children who are left unattended in the library.
Persons who violate these Guidelines may receive a warning from the library staff and/or an opportunity to cease the violation or leave the library. Illegal activity, as well as any willful or repeated violations of these Guidelines or other posted library regulations (e.g. computer use rules), may result in removal from the facility and/or suspension of library privileges. In addition, where authorized by Federal, State or local law, violations of these Guidelines may also result in arrest.
First appeals regarding these guidelines may be made to the City Librarian. Further appeals may be made to the Director of Library and Recreation Services.
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees December 11, 2003
Amended by the Library Board of Trustees January 14, 2010
Amended by the Library Board of Trustees August 11, 2011
Amended by the Library Board of Trustees on January 12, 2012