OUTDOOR WATER USE AND EFFICIENT IRRIGATION TIPS
Paso Roblans use about 3 times the amount of water in the summer as during the winter months due to outdoor irrigation. Many people apply as much as twice the amount of water their landscape requires. Irrigating efficiently is the best way to reduce water use and save money.
Efficiency Ideas for Landscape Irrigation
Water Efficient Landscapes
Residential Landscapes: Water Use
- Review watering restrictions that are currently in effect.
- Water only before 9 am or after 7 pm on your scheduled day.
Early morning is better than evening, since winds and temperatures are lowest.
Properly position your sprinklers.
Direct spray such that water lands on your lawn or garden, not on concrete.
- Check your irrigation system regularly for leaks, broken heads, and to correct overspray problems.
- On steep slopes, use multiple, shorter sprinkler run times to eliminate runoff.
- Put a 2-3 inch layer of mulch around trees and plants to slow evaporation of moisture from the soil.
- Use a broom instead of hose to clean driveways, sidewalks and steps. Remember, cleaning of pavement with a hose is not permitted, unless to alleviate a health hazard.