Election & Responsibilities
The City Clerk is elected by the people of Paso Robles to a four-year term.
City Council Duties
The City Clerk coordinates the preparation and distribution of City Council agendas, attends Council meetings, certifies actions taken by the Council, attests to the correctness of documents executed by the Mayor and certifies such matters to various city departments and appropriate agencies.
Records & Documents
The City Clerk also maintains all city records and documents, including official minutes, resolutions, and ordinances of the Council meetings. This responsibility includes ensuring the following tasks are completed:
- Bids are received and opened.
- Contracts and agreements are processed.
- Information and assistance are provided to the public.
- Legal notices are published, posted, and mailed.
- The Legislative History File is maintained to ensure accessibility and continuity.
- The Municipal Code is codified, disseminated, and updated.
- Official records are retained and retrieved, including Public Records Requests.
- Permanent files are kept of all city contracts and agreements.
The City Clerk coordinates city elections with the County Clerk’s Office for the purpose of electing city officials and to submit measures to the electorate. Provisions of the California Political Reform Act are administered year-round.
The City Clerk is also the filing official for campaign disclosure statements for all candidates and campaign committees.
The City Clerk administers oaths of office, attests and seals official documents, receives and files all petitions, appeals, claims and lawsuits against the city.
The City Clerk is the filing official for all state and local financial disclosure statements, which include Statements of Economic Interest for:
- Certain advisory body members
- Designated employees
- Members of the City Council
- Outside contractors
The following Legal Responsibilities are administered by the San Luis Obispo Superior Court:
- Divorce, probate, civil, or criminal case records
- Jury service
- Traffic fines
Please contact the San Luis Obispo Superior Court at 805-237-3079 for matters such as these.