- City Clerk
- Voter Information
You are eligible to register to vote in California if you are:
- 18 years of age or older by election day
- Not in prison or on parole for conviction of a felony, or not insane or have been held incompetent to stand trial
- A resident of California
- A U.S. citizen
California Online Voter Registration (California Secretary of State)
Drop Box and Voter Service Center Locations
Every Registered Voter will receive a ballot in the mail.
Vote by Mail Ballots can be returned in multiple ways:
- Mailed via United States Postal Service
- Delivered to a secure VBM Ballot Drop Boxes
- Delivered to a Voter Service Center
Drop Box and Voter Service Center Locations (PDF document from SLO County website)
For additional information, including Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Election, please visit the SLO County Clerk Recorder's General Election webpage.
There is no need to apply for Vote-By-Mail Ballot
- All California active registered voters will receive a vote-by-mail ballot for all elections. No application is needed.
- The last day to register to vote is 15 days prior to Election Day.
- Official ballots will be mailed to all active registered voters no later than 29 days prior to each election, and within 5 days for voters who register after the initial mailing and by the registration deadline.
- The last day the elections office can mail ballots to voters is 7 days prior to each election. After this date, voters must visit our office to receive and vote a replacement ballot, or they can authorize a representative to obtain and deliver a ballot to them.
Returning a Vote-by-Mail Ballot
In order for a ballot to be counted it must be:
- Postmarked before or on Election Day and be received in the Clerk-Recorder’s office no later than 7 days after Election Day
- Returned by the voter personally to any official ballot drop box, polling place, or Vote Center in the state by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day
- Returned to the County Clerk-Recorder's office no later than 8:00 p.m. on Election Day
The voter may authorize another individual to return their voted ballot. This authorization is located on the vote-by-mail ballot envelope.
Read more information about Vote-by-Mail.
San Luis Obispo Office:
County of San Luis Obispo
1055 Monterey Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408
Email San Luis Obispo Elections