1902 The Paso Robles Improvement Club establishes a temporary free reading room in the Blackburn Building. The Ladies Auxiliary to the Improvement Club is established to aid the library efforts.
1903 The City Trustees pass an ordinance to establish a free public library.
1904 The Library is turned over to municipal ownership by general city election.
1907 The Ladies Auxiliary petitions Andrew Carnegie for funds to erect a suitable building. They are granted $10,000 if the city guarantees $1,000 yearly support for the library. The Trustees agree. Plans by architect W H. Weeks of Watsonville are adopted and a construction contract is awarded to R. O. Summers of San Jose. Work begins in November, 1907.
1908 The cornerstone of the Carnegie Library is laid on January 28.
1995 A new library building is built across the street; the Carnegie Library building becomes home to the Paso Robles Historical Society.