Short-Term Rentals

Short-term rentals are sometimes called vacation rentals.  They are the rental of a residential unit for a period of less than 30 days.  In the City of Paso Robles, a short-term rental permit is required to operate a short-term rental, whether a homeshare or a non-hosted accommodation.  


May 24, 2021 – Non-hosted short-term rental permits are now at capacity.  New applications for non-hosted short-term rental permits received by the City will be placed on a waiting list until a permit becomes available. There is no limit to the number of permits for homeshares, where an owner lives on the property and rents a portion as a short-term rental.

Download an STR permit application packet.  Email your completed application to    

Please contact the Community Development/Planning Department with any questions, 805-237-3970 or email

Zoning DistrictHomeshare PermitsNon-Hosted PermitsTotal IssuedWaitlist
R16689 (limited to 75)15544
All other zones12536510

Table last updated 11/6/23.  Note, some parcels on the map have more than one permit issued to them, which results in the table showing more permits than the map below.  

Map showing the location of all permitted short-term rentals in Paso Robles, California.

STR References