PERMITS AT CAPACITY
May 24, 2021 – Non-hosted short-term rental permits are now at capacity. The Community Development Department recently accepted the 325th application for a non-hosted short-term rental permit, which was the maximum number approved by the City Council in 2019. Please be aware, new applications for non-hosted short-term rental permits received by the City will be placed on a waiting list until a permit becomes available. This is not applicable to homeshares, where an owner lives on the property and rents a portion as a short-term rental.
Please contact the Community Development/Planning Department with any questions, 805-237-3970 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SHORT-TERM RENTAL HOTLINE
To file a complaint regarding a short-term rental, please utilize our 24-hour hotline at 805-329-3336 or submit a complaint online here. If your issue is not resolved within 30 minutes of your call to the hotline, please call the hotline again. In an emergency, please call 911.
Owners and agents can now apply to renew expiring short-term rental permits at www.pasopermits.com (external link). The system is touchy, so follow the steps carefully:
- Create an account using the email you provided to the City when you first applied for your short-term rental permit.
- Click on the 'Planning' tab.
- Permits linked to your email address should populate under "Records". If your permit(s) are not listed, stop and contact email@example.com for assistance.
- Click on "Renew Application" next to the expiring permit you would like to renew.
- Permit information displayed is mostly read-only, but you can edit "Agent" information, if needed. If changes are needed to the read-only fields, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Under "Custom Fields", answer the two questions related to ownership changes and whether you have received any strikes on the permit.
- Click "Continue Application".
- Complete payment for the renewal ($300 for one-bedroom homeshares, $550 for all other short-term rentals). Online options are paying with a credit card (~3% processing fee) or e-check ($2.00 flat fee). You can also bring a check or cash (exact change only) to City Hall.
- After the City receives your complete application, staff will review it. Once approved, you will receive an email with instructions for how to download your updated permit card, which must be posted in the rental unit.
- Within 10 days of renewal, you are required to send updated notification letters to all neighbors whose property is within 100 feet of the rental property (note the radius has been increased from the original requirement). Send a list of neighbors notified to email@example.com.
2022 Ordinance Update
If you would like to be notified of upcoming meetings about short-term rentals, sign up for the list, 'Paso Robles Short-Term Rental Ordinance', on the City's Notify Me page.
June 7, 2022 - The City Council will conduct a public hearing and introduce for first reading amendments to the Short-Term Rental Ordinance. The hearing is scheduled for June 7, 2022 at 6:30pm in Council Chambers at 1000 Spring Street.
The public has the option to attend the meeting in person or to participate remotely. To participate remotely, residents can listen to the meeting on the radio at 1230AM, livestream the meeting at www.prcity.com/youtube, and call (805)865-7276 to provide live public comment via telephone. The phone line will open just prior to the start of the meeting. Written public comments can be submitted in advance of the meeting via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
April 26, 2022 - The Planning Commission adopted Resolution PC 22-011 with recommendations to the City Council for amendments to the Short-Term Rental Ordinance including modifications to the ordinance’s sunset date, amenity use rules, homeshare rules, neighbor noticing distance, and permit transfer program.
You can read the staff report including all staff-recommended amendments to the ordinance here.
You can watch a recording of the Planning Commission hearing here (STR discussion begins about 1:49).
March 24, 2022 - Thank you to those who were able to participate in the short-term rental workshop on March 24, 2022. We value the input received from the community! If you were unable to attend, you can view a recording of the meeting on YouTube here.
The slides presented at the meeting can be downloaded here. Please note, a math error on Slide 8 (identified by an observant member of the community) has been corrected in this document.
SHORT-TERM RENTAL SURVEY
April 7, 2022 - The short-term rental survey is now closed. Download the results as a PDF here.
SHORT-TERM RENTAL DASHBOARD
For information about short-term rentals advertised (whether permitted or not) in Paso Robles, view the short-term rental dashboard.