When is a permit required?

Property owners (or their agents) are required to obtain permits whenever specified in the City’s Municipal or Zoning Codes or other applicable codes. When in doubt, please contact the City to confirm whether or not a permit is required. Some of the more frequent questions regarding permits:

  • Business signs located anywhere other than in a business window require a sign permit.
  • Encroachment into a public street or other right-of-way requires an encroachment permit, available through the Engineering Division at 805-237-3860.
  • Grading of property involving more than 50 cubic yards of material requires a grading permit.
  • Stockpiling over 50 cubic yards of earth such as sand, gravel, or other similar items is subject to a grading permit according to Municipal Code Section 20.12.070.
  • Oak tree removal requires a permit if a tree is 6 inches or greater diameter. Contact the Planning Division at 805-237-3970 for details or see our city tree regulations page for more information.

Show All Answers

1. When is a permit required?
2. When do I have to apply for a sign permit?
3. When do I need to apply for a building permit?
4. Can I build a shed in my back yard or add on to my house?
5. How big can a detached accessory building be?
6. Where can I find off-street parking requirements?
7. Where can I find traffic counts for the City of Paso Robles?
8. What does PD mean?
9. Where can I find water and sewer information for a specific piece of property?
10. How do I find out what can be built or what types of uses would be permitted on a certain piece of property?
11. How do I find out the zoning on a parcel?
12. What are the height requirements for fencing?
13. How do I determine where my property line is?
14. How do I determine what my setbacks are?
15. When is the installation of offsite (curb, gutter, sidewalk) improvements required?
16. Do I need a permit to build a patio cover or to enclose my patio?
17. How do I determine what my setbacks are for a swimming pool?
18. Where can I park a motor home on my single-family residential property?
19. How can I find out about a pending project I have heard about?
20. May a nonconforming use be re-established in the event of fire or other natural disaster?
21. When do I need a business license / home occupation permit?