Property owners (or their agents) are required to obtain permits whenever specified in the City’s Municipal or Zoning Codes or other applicable codes. When in doubt, please contact the City to confirm whether or not a permit is required. Some of the more frequent questions regarding permits:
- Business signs located anywhere other than in a business window require a sign permit.
- Encroachment into a public street or other right-of-way requires an encroachment permit, available through the Engineering Division at 805-237-3860.
- Grading of property involving more than 50 cubic yards of material requires a grading permit.
- Stockpiling over 50 cubic yards of earth such as sand, gravel, or other similar items is subject to a grading permit according to Municipal Code Section 20.12.070.
- Oak tree removal requires a permit if a tree is 6 inches or greater diameter. Contact the Planning Division at 805-237-3970 for details or see our city tree regulations page for more information.