Can I build a shed in my back yard or add on to my house?

The City’s Zoning Code regulates the height, size, location, and use of accessory buildings and main buildings. These requirements vary between different zoning districts. Any structure that requires a building permit must meet the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance. These requirements include setbacks, required building separation and design guidelines. 

To determine the requirements for a specific property, please call the Planning Division at 805-237-3970. A simple plot plan or site plan may also be faxed or delivered to the Planning Division with a letter explaining the property location and the proposed project. Our fax number is 805-237-3904 and our address is:

1000 Spring Street
2nd Floor
Paso Robles, CA 93446

Show All Answers

1. When is a permit required?
2. When do I have to apply for a sign permit?
3. When do I need to apply for a building permit?
4. Can I build a shed in my back yard or add on to my house?
5. How big can a detached accessory building be?
6. Where can I find off-street parking requirements?
7. Where can I find traffic counts for the City of Paso Robles?
8. What does PD mean?
9. Where can I find water and sewer information for a specific piece of property?
10. How do I find out what can be built or what types of uses would be permitted on a certain piece of property?
11. How do I find out the zoning on a parcel?
12. What are the height requirements for fencing?
13. How do I determine where my property line is?
14. How do I determine what my setbacks are?
15. When is the installation of offsite (curb, gutter, sidewalk) improvements required?
16. Do I need a permit to build a patio cover or to enclose my patio?
17. How do I determine what my setbacks are for a swimming pool?
18. Where can I park a motor home on my single-family residential property?
19. How can I find out about a pending project I have heard about?
20. May a nonconforming use be re-established in the event of fire or other natural disaster?
21. When do I need a business license / home occupation permit?